Wikiversity:A proposal of language learning policy
Be aware that this is only a proposal for discussion. It isn't yet a policy, neither a guideline.
That means, for example, that all learners of English with a certain knowledge of the language should participate in learning groups created at the english Wikiversity.
Pros from a pedagogical perspective
- The students at such levels (intermediate and advanced) should make the effort of language immersion into the language they are learning. That is a fundamental step in the process of language learning for several reasons:
- Until now, they have adquired enough grammatical knowledge and vocabulary to build short texts, but they still lack the habit of using the language they are learning.
- Immersed in the learning language, they are forced to write in that language because they will interact with users who don’t talk their mother tongue.
- The students get fluency on writing and reading conversations and loose the fear to use their new language.
- Besides, it will be easier to get adviced by native speakers about the common mistakes committed by the language learner.
Pros from an organizational perspective
- The formation of language learning groups will be much more efficient. Especially learners in minoritarian languages will have it much easier to build a group of students with whom they can interact.
- Contact between users of different Wikiversity language domains would take place, thus the sense of community increases and they could learn of other wikiversity experiences.
- Wikiversities with low activity could get new members.
- There may be multilingual language learning projects where the goal is not a definite and unique language. For example, intercomprehension between connected languages. In such cases, I would propose that multilingual learning experiences are developed in beta.wikiversity. Its multilingual environment would be ideal for such a project.
- Some languages do not, and may not ever, have a Wikiversity. For these languages, some other method of language learning would be absolutely necessary.
- Teachers would have to be able to deal with students who do not speak the language of instruction, and my get frustrated or confused more easily.
--Javier Carro 21:44, 19 September 2006 (UTC)