Wikiversity:IRC meeting about research
|Wikiversity Policies Clockinwork|
This page is to plan a meeting on IRC to discuss research scope and guidelines - in advance of the WMF board's meeting on March 16th. Specifically, are these proposals good and realistic enough to move Wikiversity out of its "beta" phase?
- It might be a good way of "hammering out" ideas that could be useful in addressing questions that the board may have.
- It would be an opportunity for people of different Wikiversities to get to know each other.
- There is actually no research on Wikiversity.
- Perhaps we should better discuss why Wikiversity is so little attractive to researchers.
If you are interested in attending such a meeting, please list yourself with dates and times that suit or don't suit you. (Try to leave a line for the next user that includes the table markup, for ease of use.) If you are not sure, just leave your details underneath, and someone can format it for you. :-)
|Username||Main WV project||Timezone (UTC+/-?)||Preferred times||Days/dates available/not|
|Cormaggio||English||UTC+0||19-24:00 UTC (though flexible)||Available almost any day|
|Rayc||English||UTC-6||UTC 0-6 (or anytime Saturday)||Generally available|
|Xenon||English+beta||UTC+0||UTC 17-23 (or all weekends)||Generally available|
|Hillgentleman||beta, En||UTC-5||-||Le Weekend|
|CQ||English+beta||UTC-6||lurking in #wikiversity as yeoman||Generally available|
|Michael Billington||en, beta||UTC+10||UTC 0-10||Any time|
|Javier Carro||Español & English||UTC+1||today, flexible||After midday|
|WiseWoman||being cranky||UTC+1||why not right now||odd times|
|Next user||Main project||Timezone||Preferred times||Availability|
What IRC channel should we have this meeting in? Can anyone get in touch with the ChanOp of irc.freenode #wikiversity ? Otherwise #wikiversity-en is available, but doesn't seem ideal (en-centric)...
- Could we not meet in a research-specific channel, such as #wikiversity-research (doubt it exists)? - Xenon (talk)
- Wikiversity:Scope of research/Policy/En and Wikiversity:Research guidelines/En - are they good enough?
- Can we set one policy for all projects?
- "the decision, as to what kinds of research should be permitted, should be left to the individual specialist areas as well as the individual language versions" (source).
- Small Wikiversity projects - how would they cope with research?
- Fringe groups - what to do?
- Existing (ongoing and proposed) research activities on Wikiversity: How do they measure up against the proposed guidelines?
- See the examples at Wikiversity:Scope of research/Policy/En#Original research.
- Metadata extension for Mediawiki just finishing up, see --WiseWoman 22:12, 10 March 2007 (UTC)
- Did the special projects committee review Wikiversity?
- Questions from the Colloquium at the English language Wikiversity , .
- Summarize - short bulleted points, for example