See also: mediawiki:sitenotice id•
Guillom 14:57, 24 August 2006 (UTC)
- Interesting- How did you make the sitenotice disappear?--Hillgentleman|User talk 23:46, 16 December 2006 (UTC)
Added some colors to make it easier to notice, but it was made in a hurry and probably need to be improved. //Kaj 11:14, 21 March 2010 (UTC)
Site message used in lieu of welcome and help pages, and incorrectly
The site message is normally used to make announcements of immediate import or concern. The present site message is in English and no translations are provided, and the three items have been standing for years.
- We are a multilingual site with lots of work to do. How is your school or institution using Wikiversity?
- Whatever is in the site message that is routine and long-standing will distract from more urgent messages. This question is in English, and is displayed with every single page viewed on Wikiversity, unless one dismisses the banner.
- This is material that belongs in welcome templates, in the language of the user, preferably. It's also not correct. The first link is to WV:RCA which is a disambiguation page to request for custodian action pages, not a page to ask for help, as such. Anyone can help, but certain actions are only for custodians, such as page deletion, blocking, etc. The second link is to Wikiversity:Notices for custodians, which is intended for announcements for custodians, not reports of problems seeking custodian action.
- Vote for Custodian candidates.
- There are no open candidacies. If a user actually follows this link, they will never again follow it. It is more customary to site-notice an open candidacy, so that users familiar with the work of that user may be attracted to comment.
Basically, the site message should either be blank at this time, or the message about the meta discussion proposing the closure of Beta should be restored (removed here), because that Request for comment is still open. m:Requests for comment/Move Beta Wikiversity to Incubator. --Abd (talk) 00:46, 28 February 2014 (UTC)